Sunday, November 05, 2006

My top ten epic compositions

Notice I didn't write 'songs'. I feel that calling what is in this list a song is too limiting and carrying a sense of radio friendliness. Which anything you describe as epic would never be. Initially I was going to give myself a ten minute minimum time restriction, but that became too hard. So I'm changing it to eight minutes, with a couple of exceptions ( I think you'll agree once you here those two). The compositions must, to be epic, also be terribly complex with multiple layers, and time changes. I've also tried to vary the musical styles though they are leaning towards heavier genres.

In no particular order:

1. Jane's Addiction - Three Days @ 10.47 The only you tube I could find was in two parts, trust me, it's worth it!!





2. The Mars Volta - L'Via L'Viaquez 12.21 Some day I want to learn to Tango. And when I do I want to adapt the dance to go with this song is a very fast and erotic way, as I think it'll perfect for it. This song is actually the shorter video version.



3. Tool - Aenema 6.39 This is one of my exceptions being as short as it is. The reason it's here, is because of how this song is built. It possesses what I call the greatest toolgasm they've done. In other words it climaxes like no other song to ever hit my ears.



4. The Doors - The End 11.41 Not much needs to be said of this brilliance.



5. Tool - Rosetta Stoned 11.11 Off the new album and the best performance at the show this past fall.



6. The Dresden Dolls - Truce 8.34 I've gone on so much about this group, so I'll just say.......WATCH IT!



7. Led Zepplin - Kasmir 8.32 Again, nothing needs to be said.

Unfortunately no youtube for this one.

8. Ministry - So What 8.13 A great little titty for smashing your head against the wall ;-)

Again, no video or audio found.

9. Delerium - Silence (edit) 11.34 Bill and Rys don't get their due for their musicianship.



10. Dead Can Dance - Rakim 6.25 Again, another one of my exceptions. Reason? I believe this to be the greatest musical recording. The first part of the song, Brendan makes up his own language on the spot, every performance is different. Is there anything more musical than using the human voice as an instrument?



Well, there it is. If you've watched and read this, then you've been here for a good hour and I'm flattered.

1 comment:

Om said...

Rosetta Stoned was my favorite off 10,000 Days since the first time I heard it! It seemes to me at teh time to be such a complex song that blew me aways and still does! I agree this was my faveorite of the entire show.. with Stinkfist a close second!

AENEMA! Hell yes!

The Mars Volto! I got them on my list already! Will surprise you with my choice! WINK!

Great DOORS song! And Zeppelin's Kashmir.. The ultimate EPIC song!

Dresdan Dolls and Ministry! SHIIIITE YES!!!!! We likes the same stuff! I am tweeking my list! Love your list! Gotta love youtube!