Monday, November 13, 2006

Complaint time

Please try to understand this in the manner which it is intended.

My mother is really fucking pissing me off these days. Yes of course I love her, but damn is that lady getting on my nerves.

The renovation I'm doing in Whistler for her right now is mildly tearing out my soul. Yesterday, I had I think five phone calls to determine whether or not they were have two under cabinet puck lights under this one cabinet or just one. I told them repeatedly to just use one, since they never use that space except to pile up appliances. It got to the point were I suggested I send her a picture with me holding up one light. That made her and her husband make up their minds. For the love of christ can't you just listen to my opinion and respect the fact that I may have an idea what the fuck I'm talking about.

This past weekend she was taking care of my nieces. When this occours, she puts on the grandma blinders. Nothing else in the word matters or exists for that matter. I needed her to do something for me last night which was to have MAJOR implications on my week. She said she'd do it later that night. Now it's over 24 hours later and no word.

Of course I spoke to her in a stern tone of voice regarding the lights, but it was how any contractor would, if they'd even give them the option!!! Let alone send a picture.

In many many times gone by, she would point out my less than ideal consideration to the way she loves to live in a world of fluff (her world of fluff, HER TERMS). Yes my mother is controlling. So many, and I mean at least 6 separate parties who know my mother have shared their opinions of her to me. She is the way she is and it drives me crazy sometimes.

We all people we're not fond of, yet have to deal with. Be it through work, church, family..... you name it. What we do is learn how to deal with them so as to minimize conflict. With my mother and many others I've crossed paths with in my life, I just tend to deal with them at arms reach. I try to design a relationship which limits my need to rely on these people. If they don't pull through, so be; changes nothing for me. It's worked just swimmingly over the years. They can't let me down, so i don't get upset with them.

This case is different. I need something from her and I know (by experience) that she playing passive aggressive controlling mother because I may have snapped at her indecisiveness about the kitchen reno. For the record, we went through this with the tile selection last week. I got so upset (though didn't voice it) that I just started to agree with whatever she said. THE TILES SUCK!!! and I don't really care. When and if she calls, we'll see. Luckily her playing this game doesn't change too much except that I find out a bit later what's going to be happening instead of last night.

That's it. Damn I'm pissed. I'm sure there's TON of mistakes in what I just wrote, but I'm too tense to go back do any editing.

2 comments:

Om said...

Check!!!-- The person that seems to be emotionally unattached controls the relationship!

I keep seeing this repeated over and over lately in relationships all around me.. I believe this is an iron clad theory!

CeeCi said...

Here's my two cents...it has been my experience both personally and with others that controlling behavior is a mask for deep insecurity.

**Hugs**
♥ CeeCi